“The martial arts are ultimately self-knowledge. A punch or a kick is not to knock the hell out of the guy in front, but to knock the hell out of your ego, your fear, or your hang-ups.”
– Bruce Lee
Combat Techniques came into being in times of great despair for the sole purpose of existence and survival. It required one to be savage in desperate times. This, however, did not agree with the innate needs of man to find harmony and spiritual well-being. As time progressed, it was realized that the greatest victories came your way only when one was motivated by factors beyond self and ego. It was then that fighting turned into an art and thereon began the growth of Martial Arts as not just a way of self-defense but also of self discovery. Ever since then it has charmed both its practitioners and adorers. Today it is one of the biggest enchanters in the world of creativity and cinema. Many Actors became famous because of their proficiency in this field. It would be interesting to see who made the cut to the top of the list.
Martial Tribes brings you 5 most charming celebrity martial artists of this era.
- Jackie Chan: Born as Chan Kong Sang, this multi-talented martial artist is also a singer and a film director. He practices Kung Fu and Wing Chun, which has a great influence on his acrobatic style fighting moves in all his movies. He is best known for his swift moves that effortlessly incorporate humor in the fight scenes.
- Jet Li: This Wu Shu champion has trained under the legendary Wu bin and won many titles in this contact sport. He is a Buddhist philanthropist who believes that the true essence of martial arts lies in self control and in finding peaceful solutions to all conflicts.
- Jason Statham: This British actor is famous for his agility, athleticism and a perfect physique, which he attributes to his training in martial arts. Integrating two or more art forms like Karate and Wing Chun, he believes in achieving wholesome health goals and appearing fit on the silver screen. His mixed martial arts training has made him an ageless eye candy for women across the world.
- Michael Jai White: He claims martial arts rescued him and made him into the success that he ultimately became. This black belt in seven styles believes in kindness and gratitude towards all. The American actor and a lifelong martial artist practices Kyokushin karate, which was founded by Mas Oyama. The sport is known for its ruthlessness and discipline but that never discouraged Michael Jai White and to this day he calls it his savior.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme: This Belgian actor was a member of national centre of Karate at the age of 12. Former Mr. Belgium trained for four years under the guidance of Claude Goetz and won a spot on the Belgian Karate Team. He went on become one of the most loved actors in Hollywood especially known for his Kickboxing fighting style.